Date(s) - 24/08/2019
10:30 - 20:00
GF - Strathearn Hall
Tabletop Scotland will be hosting an official Catan UK National Qualifier Tournament. The Tournament Winner will win a guaranteed seat at the 2020 Catan UK National Championship at the UK Games Expo.
Prizes! Including some Game Of Thrones Catan Promos!
All attendees must be UK citizens and aged 18+ at the time of the tournament to qualify for the UK Nationals. Please do not sign up for the event if you do not meet this criteria.
|15:45||17:15||Semi-Final (Top 16) – If we have less than 28 attendees this round will be skipped and the Final will be hosted instead.|
|18:00||19:30||Final (Top 4)|
- The tournament uses standard 3-4 player Catan.
- Maps are defined by the tournament organiser and are the same across all tables participating in the tournament.
- Each round may have a different layout.
- Rounds are scheduled to take a maximum of 90 minutes. However, for all games the round will not complete until one player has reached 10 victory points.
- The organiser has the authority to introduce and enforce a time limit on player turns. In the event, time limitations are imposed, player turns are limited to three minutes. After set-up, players also have the right to call in a referee to enforce three minute turns.
- There will be an assigned schedule that determines which table and which starting positions the players play for each round. The starting player selects first the colour and their chair. After that, each player, according to their redetermined position, chooses clockwise their players colour.
- After 3 games the 16 players with the highest rankings reach the semi-finals.
- If there are less than 28 attendees the semi-final round will be skipped and the final will be hosted instead.
- The following chart determines at which table players will play. It also determines the order in which players choose his or her starting position first (1st, 2nd, 3rd, or 4th)—players choose according to the ranking based on the qualifying rounds:
- Table 1: Rank 1, Rank 8, Rank 9, Rank 16
- Table 2: Rank 2, Rank 7, Rank 10, Rank 15
- Table 3: Rank 3, Rank 6, Rank 11, Rank 14
- Table 4: Rank 4, Rank 5, Rank 12, Rank 13
- The players choose their starting position and their seats at each table after the game board design is revealed and
- The four winners of each of the semi-final games reach the final game. In the final, seating is based on ranking from the preliminary round. The players select their starting position as they did in the Semifinals, along with player colour in order of their rank. The winner of the final will be the Qualifier Champion.
- During Rounds 1, 2 and 3 the number of victories will be used to rank players.
- In case of ties, the total sum of victory points across all three games will be used as the first tiebreaker.
- If ties still exist after that, the second tiebreaker will be the sum of the percentage of victory points the players reached at their three tables. If there are still any ties after that lots will be drawn.
Example (after three rounds):
Players A and B both win 2 games. Both get 28 victory points – so there is still a tie. Now the percentages of victory points will be calculated.
For Player A:
- Game 1: A gets 10 VPs, there were 32 VPs at the table, their percentage is: 31.25%.
- Game 2: A gets 8 VPs, there were 30 VPs at the table, their percentage is: 26.67%.
- Game 3: A gets 10 VPs, there were 36 VPs at the table, their percentage is: 27.78%. A’s sum is: 85.70.
For Player B:
- Game 1: B gets 10 VPs, there were 30 VPs at the table, so their percentage is: 33.33%.
- Game 2: B gets 10 VPs, there were 33 VPs at the table, so their percentage is: 30.3%.
Game 3: B gets 8 VPs, there were 36 VPs at the table, their percentage is: 22.22%. B’s sum is 85.85.
Player B is ranked higher than Player A.
- In the case of a three-player game, a fourth score will be created by averaging the other three scores (rounding any 0.4 remainder down, and any 0.5 remainder up). This average score is included into the calculation as if it were a fourth player for purposes of the percentage of points earned.
For more information about the Catan World Championship Program, visit Catan Studio: https://www.catanstudio.com/events/catan-world-championship/uk/
Online event bookings open on Friday 22nd May at 20:00 and close on Friday 7th August at 20:00.